Failure Is Not An Option

This is a post I truly feel I need to write but I do not want to in the least. To write this it means I have to admit I failed. It has been on my heart to write this because I know I am not the only one who struggles with this and hopefully my struggle will help you with yours. I often find blogging fun, but there are times when I feel I am supposed to write something and it means being vulnerable it gets awfully scary. So here we go.

I joined BeachBody in the spring of 2012. I was very excited about the opportunity to help not only myself but others. I thrive on encouraging others and seeing them reach their goals. In beginning this journey I joined up with friends and we did P90X and we did great. I lost 20 pounds and felt amazing. Watch this…

So the easiest way for me to to describe the past year was that it sucked. There was death, diagnoses, loss, rejection and more that I never want to experience again. Unfortunately in that I began to struggle with depression again. In this time I discovered a lot about myself and one that I was an emotional eater. I was silly to not think of that before but it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had worked so hard to lose weight and I was 3 pounds from my goal. When the first blow came my first thought went to food and I remember thinking how strange that was but in some crazy way it brought comfort.

So now I am admitting I have gained all of those 20 pounds back. I have really struggled because I am trying to help others and in so failing to help myself. I have come to the fork in the road. I can continue on the route that I do not like or I can take the harder route and do what I did before and overcome this once and for all.

I am pretty sure I am not alone in this so I want to start a group that really focuses on emotional eating and trying to figure out what are those triggers that make us want to eat so we can break them. I know I cannot do this alone. I need you and the strength of my Lord and Savior. So there will also be a faith aspect to this where we truly can break the chains of bondage.

If you want to join me on this journey I would absolutely love it. Just email me and we can begin this journey. Our group will begin September 1. The group is private and you will be there with others that have the same struggles. The kids will be back in school. It will be a time of no more excuses.

Are you in?

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

~Philippians 4:13

13 Comments

• JodyK says:

I completely understand your struggle and have been there, dare I say, over and over. It is very easy to slip back. I will be here to support you any way I can.

• Brenda Lucia says:

Hey Jen, your post touched my heart. I understand having emotional struggles and just wanted to lend support. I don’t know exactly what I can offer, but if you need a confidant, I am happy to offer any incite I can. I have been overweight myself in the past and am now the smallest I have ever been. A lot has to do with my state of mind and I totally get the emotional component. If you would like to chat, I am off from work around 4:30 most days. Feel free to call me. I’m pretty sure we exchanged numbers but you can also email me. My personal fix was to get back into an environment that let me work with people and forces me to move all day long. Let me know if I can help further.
    Sincerely , Brenda Lucia

• Allison says:

Love you, Jen! You are selling yourself short in saying you have failed. Quite the opposite is true, because you have always found a way to use your struggles to help and inspires others. Though in life many of our struggles are carnal, the “weapons” we use to overpower those struggles are divine.

“The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:4-5

Thanks as always for your great posts! Love, Allison

• Allison says:

*inspire* not “inspires”! 🙂

• Stephanie says:

I am with you on the struggle. I don’t know that mine is entirely emotional eating as it is just a love for food and maybe more stress eating. I have gained back 10 of the 22 I lost but I am not really worried because with your help I learned how to make fitness a priority, how to plan for eating better and with the support group I know that is why I succeeded in reaching my goal before. Even though I have gained some back I am so much better equipped to reach that goal again and still more active/healthy then before. I’d love to join the group and have no doubt you can reach your goal again!

• Peggy swoboda says:

I have failed so many times and just gain more weight. It is great that you can admit it but you need to see if you can do it alone or with others. I am certain,y willing to try. Lord knows it’s been a battle.

• Becky says:

Jen, in my early 30’s I had some of the same issues you did. I went from a size 4 to a size 12 almost overnight. I didn’t know how to shop for clothes that size. I was told that I needed to be with people and not to isolate myself. You are a beautiful loving person always lifting someone else up. Try to be with friends where you both can lift each other up and it doesn’t fall on one person. Love you girl. You can do this.

• Betty hanlon says:

Emotional eating is very common -and I dare say, if we are honest with ourselves, each of us face it. The problem with emotional eating is that it snowballs and we feel worse for it both physically and emotionally. It gives us a very false sense of our worth -that we are failures and not worth much. We must remember God loved/ loves us so much that He sent His only Son to die for our sins(weaknesses that we fall in) and that we ARE worth it. HE made each of us and our weaknesses and knows how hard we struggle. So it is no surprise to HIM that we struggle. What do we do? We are to support and encourage each other -to be God’s physical support for each other and to love each other like He loves each of us. We are to love ourselves as He does and encourage each other. We are to turn to and lean on God/Christ as we journey together through our weakness. Together we can walk through our valley and know that He is with us. The only good in our problem that comes to mind is that we all understand, first hand. I’m in. Love you Jen -and everyone.